Wayne Rooney says after hat-trick he ‘wasn’t worried’ by barren spell

• Manchester United captain hits eighth treble for the club in 4-1 victory
• ‘I am very happy with him,’ says Louis van Gaal after beating Club Brugge
 
Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney and Ander Herrera celebrate another goal in the 4-1 win against Club Brugge. Photograph: Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images
Wayne Rooney said after scoring the hat-trick against Club Brugge that ended a 10-game run without a goal for Manchester United and secured them a place in the Champions League group phase that he had never doubted himself .

The captain had not scored since April, 10 games ago, and four of those matches had come this season, but Rooney’s eighth hat-trick for the club and his first in the Champions League since his debut against Fenerbahce in September 2004 helped defeat Bruges 4-0 in the final knockout round to win the tie 7-1 on aggregate.


Manchester United cruise past Club Brugge with Rooney hat-trick

Read more

The victory means United are in Thursday’sdraw for the group stage. “United have to be in the Champions League,” Rooney said afterwards. “It was a big disappointment last year, not to challenge. Coming here we didn’t think it would be as comfortable as it was but it was vital we went through any way we did and over the two legs we fully deserved it. It is exciting now. We will go back, do our recovery, get ready for Sunday [at Swansea] and we will enjoy the draw. It’s nice to be back in it again.

“I’m delighted to get the goals. More importantly, it was a massive game for the club, to get through to the group stage, after being out of it last year. A great result, a great level from the two games. We are delighted we are through to the draw.

“If the goals don’t go in, I still bring a lot to my team-mates. To be honest, if I didn’t have a strong character, then maybe it would have affected me but I know my quality, I know what I give to the team. Thankfully I had chances tonight and I took them. I wasn’t worried – if it was going on for three, four or five games more, then maybe so. But it’s early days and I knew when the chances came I would take them.”

Rooney added: “As a striker, obviously you want to score. Everyone goes back to last season and towards the end I didn’t score. People make a big thing of it. I understand. I have understood since a young age because of my name, because of who I am it will get publicised a lot more. That is a part of my job. I have to accept that.”

Analysis Manchester United on board with Louis van Gaal’s ideas about movement
Wayne Rooney’s return to form came about after improved movement from his team-mates provided him with more service than he has had all season

Read more

Louis van Gaal praised his captain’s mentality. “Of course every goal shall give confidence to every player, also to Wayne,” the manager said. “I’m very happy to him. He was generous to give the penalty to Javier [Hernández] which I think he slipped [when missing]. Wayne has the best mentality you can imagine. Such players at that level will always come back.”

Van Gaal will not watch the draw. Instead he plans to see United’s Under-21s play Ajax. “I cannot have any influence,” he said. “There was a lady who asked me what I shall do during the draw. I said I shall watch the second team against Ajax because I cannot influence the team … it is better to hear afterwards.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard