PDP only lacks maybe management – Tukur

*Tukur
Erstwhile National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, in an interview published yesterday spoke on several issues relating to his stewardship. In the second part of the interview, Tukur speaks on his relationship with some party chieftains and gives details of the battle he had with Governor Murtala Nyako who was at that time governor of his home state, Adamawa. Excerpts:Sir, it was alleged that while you were going round as national chairman selling the party, the former chairman of BoT, Chief Tony Anenih was also doing same and some said that there was clash between the two of you.

Well, if somebody wants to clash, you cannot stop them from clashing. The job of BoT is different from the job of a party chairman.

But if you decide to dive into it, then you expect clash of interest.

But did you see his action, meeting with state executives as clashing with your job as the party chairman?

Of course it did. It was not reconciling, let us call a spade a spade. I think the governors wanted to use him so that they can soften my position that is all.

Since you were both veterans of the NPN (defunct National Party of Nigeria) did you not seek to address him?

Oh yes, ask Chief Anenih. I always told him that both of us are responsible to make sure this party works and the government continues. I am sure he meant well.

But my own perception was that maybe they wanted to use him to soften my own position, to try and tell them, work with the chairman knowing full well that me if they say selection, I would not agree; I would say election.

Sir, did you in your heart ever forgive Nyako for not supporting you to become the national chairman?

He was not a factor. What could he do? One governor when the governors, 36 states wanted me. He was not a factor. He may have prejudice. To me, an individual going against me. If I like I can call Nyako…after all, my son is married to his daughter.

After you stepped down you stopped attending NEC meetings even though you are a permanent member of NEC?

They were not inviting me, they will say they sent a letter to me. I am in Abuja here, they will use Jimeta address.

Sir, where exactly was Atiku Abubakar on the Adamawa PDP crisis because he apparently moved positions?

He has the better answer himself because for me I am as constant as the Northern Star. Ask him.

Could you reflect as a governor in 1983 what is the difference between the mood and bearing of governors in your time and the governors of today?

Complete difference. I can tell you when Chief Richard Akinloye (NPN national chairman) entered all of us including Shagari (president) would stand up which is what I call discipline. We waited for Akinloye together with the president until they came in. We believed in the supremacy of the party. You as a governor, you as are a president, you have only one vote.

Do you think the PDP can reinvent itself and win back federal power?


Why not because it is a party dominated by the grassroots. It only lacks maybe management.

Why was Nyako not allowed to enter the convention ground?

We had an elected state chairman but he said he wanted his own chairman who was not properly elected to be there. It was not him they refused, it was Kaigama (Nyako’s PDP factional chairman) that they refused, let us be fair.

How true is it that the quarrel with Nyako was compounded by the fact that you both wanted your sons to be governor in 2015?


Awwal before he intended to become governor, was also a member of the House of Representatives, chairman of committee on aviation. Should I tell Awwal because I am the chairman of the party not to vie for the position of a governor? Will it be fair?

Nyako was the one who went round and promoted his son using government apparatus. I did not use party apparatus. I never went on campaign with him, never. I did not campaign, I did not tell anybody in the NWC or anybody else about my son. After all somebody who is over fifty can make a choice.

Is it true you resigned as national chairman under duress?


If I found Jonathan insincere, then I would have refused to resign. I resigned for peace so that PDP will remain. He didn’t want me to go.


That is the president?


Yes. I said the pressure on him was too much.

Sule Lamido called me a virus and I replied him and said, yes I am a virus for good governance, democracy and fair play and I hope it will catch you.

So what happened, I told him, I said look Mr President, I know when the two women came before king Solomon, the wisest king, he asked them what is the problem; they said one child that both of them delivered the child.

So he said oh yes, let us divide the child into two so that each of you can take half of the child. One of them said no, me I won’t agree to that, rather let the child remain so that when the child grows up, he can then determine who is his real mother. King Solomon knew from that moment that the real mother is the one who wants to spare the child, the other one who wanted the child divided, did that out of jealousy.

So I said to him, let me get out, let PDP survive. Let me stand aside. The letter was there which he refused to submit.

I want you to get the tape of those of you who attended. All of them, all the governors praised me. For I did nothing but because they were happy I was going and I did because I wanted to save PDP.

Do you feel embarrassed that the party you presided over formed a government is regularly being indicted for corruption?


So far they are allegations. Of course I will feel embarrassed because the people they alleging against (unless they prove otherwise,) they are people that I know.

Eightieth birthday

So I feel embarrassed definitely, they are friends, they are associates, so on and so forth. So nobody can pretend to you that he is not embarrassed by these kind of things. I am not only embarrassed because of my party, I am embarrassed because of my country. I love my country. I am a Nigerian. So I am embarrassed really.

Sir, you will be eighty years tomorrow. What has life taught you?


Four scores, in health and vigour and still counting! I want to thank my God. Whatever I arrive at is with the cooperation, it is not me alone; I am part of those who, including all of you, who encouraged me either in my endeavour or by goodness.

I can say try to do good. What you need is to be remembered for your good deeds not your bad deeds. And please understand whatever you do today becomes a history and it would be read, it will be there. So if you do bad, it will be there, it will become a history, people will read it. So please make sure you try your best to do good things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard