Runtown Vs EricMany All the right moves for a wrong contract turn

  Runtown (Pulse)

We have all seen this in the Nigerian music industry. An artiste gets some shine for his indie work and shows promise. He gets some applause, the media touts him as the best thing since Wizkid, and then an underground investment race starts as potential ‘label owners’ begin to throw contracts at him for signing.

Runtown had his moment in the first quarter of 2014. The singer, songwriter, and producer appeared to be the full package after his explosion. First came ‘Gallardo’, a smash hit single which announced him. Then he went some distance better with ‘Successful’. The bidding war started, people threw contracts at him, but after sieving through, he chose to align with EricMany Entertainment, a business helmed by Prince Okwudili Umenyiora [aka Dilly], the C.E.O of Dilly Motors.

Runtown (Pulse)

Two years later, the story is changed. Where there was once praises and seeming happiness, beef has taken over. Where progress looked like it was happening, war has become the new event. The two parties have thrown legal papers at each other; EricMany running to court to ‘protect’ their investment, and Runtown, serving papers to terminate their relationship. Everything is in public, the fight is in the market square, and everyone gets to have front row seats for the showdown.

But where did things go wrong? Where did the house which was once deemed perfect and progressive begin to lose its way? How did they allow distrust and bitterness to sneak into what was on paper, a fruitful and mutually beneficial association?
  Runtown (Pulse)

According to Runtown, in this explosive interview, the seeds were sown from the start.

“I signed with Eric Many in May 2014, the first one is renewable upon 48 months, and the second one is renewable upon 60 months.” Runtown said. “We started working. Before EricMany I already did the ‘Gallardo’ video on my own, I paid N4.5 million for the video, exclusive of the money I used to push the song. You all know much it takes to push a song in Africa. I also did ‘Successful’, on my own.

“The first video we did together was ‘Domot’, I noticed that when money started coming in from shows, I was having a lot bookings, and I noticed that the label started taking all the money. The contract stated that I get my percentage which is 35%, until when we recoup like half of what we invest in the career, then we will renegotiate the contract. I accepted and said let’s go ahead.”

Money has always been the issue for almost every contractual dispute. A bone of contention known for the split of everything. But in reality, it is not the money that creates the disruption. It’s the wrongful human behavior that comes with the availability of it. Runtown’s deal was hinged upon the mutually beneficial clause that he gets 35% of every income. But that was breached. In a prolific two year run that has seen the singer perform countless shows across the globe, only thrice has he collected his due.
  Runtown (instagram)

Disrespect of contract was not alone. There was also the basic disrespect of person, with the singer suffering emotional abuse, and threats to life.

“In 2014, I went to London, and the label started calling me and saying that ‘Why didn’t I tell anyone before going to London?’ I didn’t go to London for shows or anything, I went there for vacation. When I got back, I went to Mr Dilly’s house, and he started ranting, and asking ‘Why did I travel?’ I told him that it’s just like travelling to Enugu to see my mum, that it’s just London, just like anywhere, that the contract does not state that I cannot have personal travels.

“The next thing, He (Dilly) pulled out a gun, and threatened me, and said he was going to f***k me up. I felt scared and confused. I didn’t go to London to do a show and they found out. I went there for my vacation. So the threats kept going on.” Runtown said.

Right now he wants out of the deal, and the label wants to hold him in. The contract is filled with a lot of holes, and it is these holes that have created these rift. First the deal has no duration, then at no point was litigation supposed to be a part of it. Disputes on the deal are meant to be resolved by mediation and conciliation, and if that fails, arbitration, rather than litigation. But litigation is what the label has sought, and that mechanism can get messy.
  Runtown and his lawyer, Abimbola Fakeye (Pulse)



Even though the legal process hurts the relationship further, and can be argued that it nullifies the contract, it shows a level of professionalism that rarely do exist in similar disputes. By going through the dispute resolution mechanisms and processes applicable in Nigeria, rather than the cowardly display on twitter which smacks of playing to the gallery. Although it has its benefits, that simply just brings everyone into your business, with very little achieved that is worthwhile.

Going legal and formal shows that both parties can cuty through the crap and appeal to the law. The case is just starting in the public eye, and its resolution will sure make for interesting followership. Runtown and Eric Many Entertainment are on a wrong space, but they are following all the right rules of engagement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard