Enyeama's Expected Century Club Feat I'll Motivate Others-Yobo


Joseph Yobo

Former Nigeria captain Joseph Yobo is the most-capped player for his country with 100 appearances. For over a decade he made the jersey number two his own with the national team. However, goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama is set to equal and surpass his record at the end of this month. In this interview with Femi Solaja, Yobo speaks about the significance of his record, the problems affecting the country's football, the World Cup strike over bonus and allegation that players put money before the country.


You set a mile stone in the history of Nigerian football at the last World Cup in Brazil as the most capped player (100 caps), what feeling came into you after that feat?

It is amazing when you look back and see how far you have come, I think I probably did not realise how important it was until I quit international football. I was a great achievement. I will encourage anyone that could reach that height to do so because it’s something that you can look back to and be proud of.

At some point it appeared the 100 cap was never going to happen, what went through your mind?
I had no problem with anyone because when God holds you no one can harm you. When I realised what it was getting the 100 caps I think there was a lot of obstacles some people did not want me to get it but the hand of God was upon me and I had my opportunity again and I took it. Looking back I am very happy, it’s a lot of sacrifice playing for the national team, to be a player for over a decade and to get to the 100 caps. I am proud to have done that and I know someday my kids will look back, appreciate and be proud of what I did.

Sadness, pain, drama and uninterrupted international run until 2013, what would you consider to be your biggest achievement?

I think everything because knowledge is power and the experiences you go through makes you stronger. As a professional footballer it’s only few that could go that long and stay consistent in the national team. It takes a lot of sacrifice, humility, hard work, but most especially I think it’s God. When you are gifted and the hand of God is upon you and you believe in God, I think [HE] makes everything possible – I’m a testimony to that.

You are the country's most capped player at the World Cup with 10
games, you love setting records don't you?What else can you ask for?
I think I’m super blessed. One thing I asked for was to win a proper trophy. In 2013 I said it was my last tournament and I prayed so hard in spite of all odds, the controversy and problems surrounding the team I stayed calm to be part of the team that achieved that success. I think that was the only thing missing after playing in six Nations Cups consistently and three World Cups. An amazing record and achievement and you can only get to that level with hard work and God on your side. So looking back it’s been a long road but I tried to enjoy every moment of it despite the odds and distractions I tried to stay focused. One thing you cannot avoid at a certain time in your career is injury because when injury kicks in, it pushes you back a little bit and you start asking questions whether it’s the right time to just focus on your club and put your international career on hold to fully recover. You start wondering whether to concentrate on one and then get back again. Those things come to your mind but as a player I was very proud representing my country. Even when we were not the strongest team I was always out there, that’s one of the things that made me stood out. I have seen a lot of things happen but I was never afraid to play again. Even when I know we are not ready for the game as a leader I was out there, put myself on the line, good or bad I think constructive criticism also made me stronger and better. But we are in a society for personal interests some people take things too far.



Criticism was something you had to deal with from the beginning of your career until the end. Some people would have broken down to pieces but you survived it all?
That’s life, you can’t win them all to your side and you’ll have to accept it as part of the game and life. But it’s something I am trying to preach out to people, for them to know that we have young players and they will always have good and bad days; it doesn’t make them a bad player. I went through all that and it made me who I am today, stronger and more vocal. I can speak my mind any time; it’s been a rough road. Many memorable times to enjoy, but I think I’m glad I was the one that said now is the time for me to quit and I left on a high at the biggest stage – the World Cup – so I’m pleased.

From 2001 until the 2013 AFCON you never sat on the bench, what's the secret?
God, hard work, dedication, supporting fans and incredible players around me as well as fantastic managers like Austin Eguavoen, someone who truly believed in me, coach Shaibu Amodu and Christian Chukwu were like fathers to me. The press also played a massive role both in a constructive way and otherwise but there are no hard feelings. You cannot do all that alone.

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama is set to equal the 100 caps mark, surpass and set a new record, how does it feel to see that record falling?
I am very happy for Enyeama, congratulations to him. He’s a great goalkeeper. He has his time. We took a different route. He had to start from the bench, coming off and fighting for his place before he became a super regular. I started and just continued. We started about the same time so I’m very happy that he’s matching the record and I hope he can break all the records because he deserves it. It’s always difficult for players to achieve that but goalkeepers go longer. He’s a great guy and a great goalkeeper and I hope that he can go on and achieve all the record he wishes. What I’ve done is what I’ve done, but it’s always good to make a decision at the right time. I made mine at the appropriate time. All the love is coming back now with people telling me I could still play on and give something, but I already achieved all I could. I hope Enyeama can keep it going and as a captain I wish him all the best.

His club captain Rio Mavuba has described Enyeama as an Angel in goal, how would you rate Enyeama as a goalkeeper?
On his day he’s a top goalkeeper. He had his moment when he was in and out of the squad and we struggled with communication. But the period that we played together consistently we had a great time. On his day he can match any top goalkeeper in the world. He can make those unbelievable saves. And when you think “no we are conceding” he’ll stood his ground make some amazing saves. He shows up when you need him. It’s always good to have a good understanding between the shot stopper and the defenders. He’s very experienced as well and that’s a big edge. I keep saying to the coaches, you need to keep your older players and experienced players as long as you can to influence team positively. Because when you take them out at the wrong time it could break the young ones who look up to them for guidance and confidence.

Nigerian football has been in a mess since you left, NFF problems, coaching situation, failure to qualify for the Nations Cup, why do you think Nigeria tend to press the destructive button?
I don’t know. I think we lack consistency in a lot of things. Instead of building and progressing, we either looking for destruction or perfection, which is a serious problem. You have to build on what you have if you see the light. A lot of people take things too personal and for their own selfish reasons but football is a professional thing and you should treat it like that. As a captain I realised that the country always come first. We tend to forget. Whether you are the NFF boss, the coach or player you need to know that the country comes first and it’s not about your personal position. That’s where we have issues, we are egoistical. Sometimes we forget that what we are doing is for our country regardless of our background and differences. For instance if a player is good let him play and get a chance, of course there must be discipline, but don’t take it personal. Look at the big clubs there are players who have ego problems and troublesome, some people don’t love themselves but they play together but they play for the club because they need to win games, it’s a business and the team must win. As administrators or coaches we need to learn from that and use it in our daily activities. The coaches and administrators have all been out there and learned the best so we should do it here. Select players based on performance and what they can offer not because you don’t like them personally. Officials too must give the coaches their due respect and meet their obligations. Once we all act like professionals and see it as a collective success then we can move forward in a positive way. Love does not cost a thing and together we can make it happen if we love ourselves for the good of the game and country.

Now that you've retired from international football, what do you say to critics who labelled Super Eagles players as selfish and greedy when they embarked on strike at the world cup to demand for bonus?
That’s unfair. The problem is when you have agreed something with people then make it happen. At the World Cup or during bonus rows, it was not about the money for some players but the motive behind it. As a captain my concern was for some of the local players and youngsters, who travelled thousands of miles, sacrifice themselves on dodgy planes and gave their all on the pitch. Those of us playing in Europe for years by the grace of God $10,000 is not our problem but those playing at home are deprived an incentive promised. And knowing our society, that money can do a lot of things in their family and community. Then you deny them something to take back home after all the sacrifice. Sadly people only hear negative things about the players. Who has heard those with flying phobia being kept on dodgy planes? Mentally and psychologically they suffer and still give their best on the pitch but when they ask for what’s promised they become greedy and unpatriotic lots. Once that game is over some players are forgotten and will be labelled finished by people. A footballer’s life span as a professional is short and what they have worked for just pay them.

What's next? You're into politics now and campaigning for president Goodluck Jonathan lately, have you hanged your football boots?
Only doing this now because I believe in the president and what he can still do for our great country given another mandate. I have not finished football but I have put some things on hold for now and I hope to return to football soon. My son grew up a great Fenerbahce fan but I want him to experience something new and watch me play one more time before I hang my boot completely. If not for anything I will do it for him. I love football but I have to consider my family before taking a decision on the next step. My family have sacrificed a lot and I have moved them around a lot but I want to make the next decision based on my family and what makes them comfortable. No pressure, we’ll see what happens in the next couple of weeks or months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard