Taylor Swift: 'I wasn't ready to be friends with Kanye West until he respected me'

In an interview with Vanity Fair, the pop star discusses the role Jay Z played in reconciling Swift with West after his stage invasion at the 2009 VMA awards
 
Friends reunited: Kanye West and Taylor Swift at the 57th Grammy awards. Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage

Taylor Swift still has bad blood with Spotify over streaming music dispute

Taylor Swift has spoken about how Jay Z helped mend the rift between her and Kanye West after the rapper interrupted her winner’s speech at the MTV VMAs in 2009.

The singer, who also gave her opinion on Spotify, calling the company a “startup with no cash flow”, told Vanity Fair that after becoming friends with Jay Z, she and West eventually developed a mutual “respect”.

“I feel like I wasn’t ready to be friends with [West] until I felt like he had some sort of respect for me, and he wasn’t ready to be friends with me until he had some sort of respect for me – so it was the same issue,” Swift said
.
FacebookTwitterPinterest Kanye West and Taylor Swift ‘meet’ at the VMAs in 2009. Photograph: Jason DeCrow/Associated Press

She added: “I became friends with Jay Z, and I think it was important, for Jay Z, for Kanye and I to get along … and then Kanye and I both reached a place where he would say really nice things about my music and what I’ve accomplished, and I could ask him how his kid’s doing.”

Swift also spoke about her relationship with high-profile female artists and writers such as Lena Dunham, Selena Gomez and Karlie Kloss, saying the group are a “sisterhood”.

“We even have girls in our group who have dated the same people,” Swift said. “It’s almost like the sisterhood has such a higher place on the list of priorities for us. It’s so much more important than some guy that it didn’t work out with.”

She added: “When you’ve got this group of girls who need each other as much as we need each other, in this climate, when it’s so hard for women to be understood and portrayed the right way in the media.”

The star had a falling out with Nicki Minaj in July after the rapper criticised MTV’s decision to not nominate her song Anaconda for more awards, with Swift assuming Minaj’s tweets about the music industry’s preference for “women with very slim bodies”, were directed at her.

She eventually apologised and reconciled with Minaj, tweeting: “I thought I was being called out. I missed the point, I misunderstood, then misspoke. I’m sorry, Nicki.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard