LIVE: Angel Di Maria unveiled at Manchester United after signing for a British record £59.7m

The Argentina winger's arrival takes United's spending to more than £120m this summer as Louis van Gaal tries to erase the pain of last seasonManchester United new signing Angel di Maria during a photo call at Old Trafford

Just call me Angel...
...in the morning, Angel!
Just touch my cheek before...erm... you something...something.
I never did know the second line to that song.
ANYWAY! Hello there and welcome to our live blog of Angel Di Maria's official unveiling as an official Manchester United player. Officially.
A British record £59.7m has been paid for the winger's services meaning if he doesn't get a hat-trick in his first game everyone's gonna be peeved.
See what he has to say after becoming a Red Devil with us here LIVE!
2:46 pm
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal with Angel di Maria during a photo call at Old TraffordJim Daly
Another new arrival at Old Trafford is defender Marcos Rojo but while Di Maria is ready to make his United bow against Burnley on Saturday, Rojo might have to wait.
His official signing as a United player hasn't yet been confirmed due to red tape...red tape...geddit? Cos it's Manchester Un....
...oh forget it.
Anyway, lots of paperwork is delaying his debut and he might have to wait until after the international break.
2:48 pm
Jim Daly
Does Di Maria have a song yet?
United fans?
Can we put forward a suggestions? My esteemed colleague the Right Honourable Ed Malyon has passed me this...
Just gonna leave it here.

2:52 pm
Jim Daly
Nearly time to go at Old Trafford.
Let's play some press conference bingo...
  1. Di Maria will smile and hold the shirt for a photo.
  2. Di Maria will call United a "big club"
  3. Di Maria will praise Real Madrid
  4. Di Maria will back Louis van Gaal to turn it around
  5. At least one journalist will ask him about his nickname 'Noodle'

3:03 pm
Jim Daly
Seventh heaven!
Right, we're about to get underway here in this presser.
And the breaking news (if you can call it beaking news) is that Di Maria will wear the No.7 shirt at Old Trafford.
Previously worn by Man United greats like David Beckham, Eric Cantona and Antonio Valencia....
Erm...
Yeah, good luck with that Angel

3:07 pm
David McDonnell
Disco is there...
Bit of a sparse turn-out at Old Trafford for British football's record signing Angel Di Maria, with only around 40 journalists in Old Trafford's Europa Suite to witness the unveiling of the £59.7million signing.
Expecting the arrival of Di Maria and Louis van Gaal imminently...
3:09 pm
Jim Daly
Van Gaal is here
LVG: "I hope he shall give us good results but we cannot expect after two days training that he is the miracle."
3:11 pm
Jim Daly
LVG: "I only buy players that can improve our philosphy.
"He fits in our philosophy. I can change the system with him, maybe we will do that, maybe during a match.
"What I have already done against Swansea.
"He played in Real not only as a wide player but also in midfield, that is a reason why we are convinced he will succeed."
3:12 pm
Jim Daly
LVG on transfers: "We know what players we want and sometimes you can have them but sometimes no, it's also depending on the club. More the club than the players. The players want to come".
3:14 pm
David McDonnell
Van Gaal: "I am very pleased that we can have such a class player in our squad but you have many class players but for me also it is important he is a team player and that is what I am liking in Di Maria, not only class, he can accelerate the game for us but he can also play in the interest of the team.
"That is why we have chosen this player and I hope she shall give us good results but we cannot expect after two days of training sessions, that he is the more what I already read. No, you have to work for the miracle, and he knows that."
3:15 pm
Jim Daly
Di Maria's turn to speak...
ADM: "I am very pleased to play for Man Utd, I like the team and I wanted to come here, even though they are not playing in the Champions League.
"I think I can help and work with the team well and help them get back into the Champions League.
"They have already won lots of trophies, they are a big team.
I come here to help and raise their game and become an important team once again, and to tin may trophies with them."
3:18 pm
Jim Daly
LVG asked about struggles this season compared to past glories.
"I prefer not to answer this out of respect to David Moyes and Ferguson.
"We have to look to the future, to rebuild. That takes time. I'm sorry to say that for the fans.
We lost 4-0 at MK Dons, they were singing and supporting the players. It's fantastic that we have such fans, I hope we will fulfill their expectations, but I have already said that it is not in one month done.
"But of course we ave to win, we have to give results and hopefully we shall start that Saturday in Burnley."
3:20 pm
Jim Daly
ADM: "I'm prepared to play in any position the manager wants me to."
"I want to help the club be successful again."
3:22 pm
Jim Daly
ADM: "The importance of the number seven shirt; Cristiano Ronaldo has already spoken to me and explained to me how important it was.
"I wanted to wear it and to be able to do as much for the club as Ronaldo and all the others [who have worn it.
"It does not bother me that £60m has been paid for me. I come here to work and play for the club and to do the best I can for Man United."
3:23 pm
Jim Daly
Amazing moment when LVG is asked if Di Maria can bring a "bit of magic" to Manchester United.
His response: "In the first few games...no."
Erm...money well spent?
3:24 pm
Jim Daly
LVG: "He's a very modest guy, he wants to work. He showed that last year.
"He played 52 matches and he made 22 assists. How many players can say that.
"You are also a very social human being and in football this is not always the case."
3:25 pm
Jim Daly
LVG dodging questions about more signings.
"It will happen when it happens.
"Players shall go in the meantime.
"After this weekend maybe we will have another group. Players will go away and players will come in.
"We have to wait and see."
3:26 pm
Jim Daly
LVG: " I think that David de Gea has two balls or three balls in a game."
Ok, now I'm CONVINCED that Van Gaal is trolling us all.
3:38 pm
Jim Daly
LVG: "Rojo is working on his permit, he has to go abroad for that.
"The difference between ADM and Rojo is that ADM has an Italian passport.
"Now Rojo is in Madrid at the embassy, it's taking more time that we expected."
3:39 pm
Jim Daly
LVG has a little moan about having so many players out injured.
Getting the excuses in early?

3:40 pm
David McDonnell
LVG on new signings: "I cannot say anything about that [bringing in more players] because it will raise the price.
"We cannot react to every rumour or something like that. But also players shall go in the meantime.

"I have also had a conversation with players after lunch and said to them after lunchtime maybe we shall have another group, because players will go and new players will come in.
"I think we have no problem when the opponent has the ball, because we don't give many chances away.
"Our problem is when we have the ball, in the build-up. That is still not good enough, but we shall improve on that."
3:45 pm
Jim Daly
Here's Di Maria with the classic hold-shirt-and-smile photo op.
Fair to say he's nailed it.

PAManchester United new signing Angel di Maria during a photo call at Old Trafford
Manchester United new signing Angel di Maria

3:52 pm
Jim Daly
If you're just joining us, amazing timing, you've literally missed everything.
Here's a recap of what's gone down.
  • LVG confirms players will leave by deadline day on Monday
  • Di Maria won't be the 'miracle' right away, says Van Gaal
  • Herrera remains injured & Rojo is still waiting on his work permit
  • Cristiano Ronaldo told me about the no.7 shirt importance, says Di Maria
  • I'll play anywhere LVG wants me too, he adds

So there we go, some interesting stuff from both of them.
And by interesting, I mean pretty much what we expected.
3:54 pm
Jim Daly
In case you were wondering what David May looked like these days...
Not seen the inside of a gym, Dave? Yeesh!


4:12 pm
Jim Daly
Right, thanks for joining us for Di Maria's presser.
And whatever you do, take care of yourselves...and each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard