I'm legal: Melania Trump blasts 'inaccurate reporting and misinformation' about how she came to be a U.S. citizen, says anything to the contrary is 'simply untrue

Melania Trump took to Twitter to push back at 'inaccurate reporting' about her immigration status – which she has touted as part of the American Dream in interviews and at the Republican Convention.

'In recent days there has been a lot of inaccurate reporting and misinformation concerning my immigration status back in 1996,' the former model and wife of GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump said in a statement she tweeted out Thursday.

'Let me set the record straight: I have at all times been in full compliance with the immigration laws of this country. Period,' the Slovenian born model said.

She continued: 'Any allegation to the contrary is simply untrue. In July 2006, I proudly became a U.S. citizen. Over the past 20 years, I have been fortunate to live, work and raise a family in this great nation and I share my husband's love for our country.'


It is assumed that Melania Trump came here on a three-year H1-B work visa that allowed her to perform modeling work. But such a visa may be inconsistent with her frequent trips home at that time, which are usually associated with temporary business visa or a simple tourist visa.

The racy photo shoot appears to put her in the U.S. in 1995, a year before she has claimed, Politico reported.

Donald Trump has made cracking down on illegal immigration a major part of his campaign. His supporters regularly chant out 'build the wall' at his rallies, in reference to the structure he wants to construct on the U.S.-Mexico border to keep out people without proper documentation.

Melania Trump spoke about her own story of coming to America at the Republican convention. ''After living and working in Milan and Paris, I arrived in New York City 20 years ago, and I saw both the joys and hardships of daily life,' she said at the Republican convention.'




Politico reported on possible gaps in the narrative Thursday, following the publication of a risque nude photo shoot featuring Melania Trump in the New York Post.

She told Harpers magazine in July, 'It never crossed my mind to stay here without papers. That is just the person you are. You follow the rules. You follow the law. Every few months you need to fly back to Europe and stamp your visa. After a few visas, I applied for a green card and got it in 2001.'

She used similar language about required trips home in an interview with MSNBC. 'I never thought to stay here without papers. I had visa. I travel every few months back to the country to Slovenia to stamp the vis,' she said.
Read the Original

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard