The Headies 2014: A Review



The Headies took place at Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos last Sunday and as usual, Nigerians gathered from all over the place to witness it and of which I was part of. I had attended a carol in church and was lucky to have left kinda late, hoping to meet the event halfway but no, I arrived early – early enough to get a bit of sleep before the main event started. The hosts were popular TV girl, Toke Makinwa and comedian, Basket mouth.

On Multiple Dresses

Now let’s start, I love the fact that everybody changes dresses when hosting events but I want to know what the logic behind it is? Do you not feel uncomfortable changing dresses up and down? (Osas Ighodaro wore 3 at the Future Awards, Eku Edewor wore 5 at the Channel O music video awards and now, Toke too wore 5 at the Headies). And I like to believe when you’re changing dresses, you’re adjusting make-up too right? Wow, you people just like stress.

On The Winners

You know, this is an opinionated piece, so I’m entitled to say what I want to say, I didn’t really dig some of these awards that were given at the Headies, probably because in my head, there are a lot of people who deserve them
Song of the Year (Won by Davido for ‘Aye’) – I love ‘Aye’ so much but I was actually expecting some other song that was bigger. I thought ‘Johnny’ and ‘Dorobucci’ were bigger hits this year when compared to ‘Aye’


Best African Artiste (Won by Sarkodie) – I’m a Mafikizolo person typically, but Sarkodie was a good pick amongst the other nominees. At least, that Diamond guy didn’t win and I’m completely fine with that.

Artiste of the Year (Won by Davido) – I am completely fine with Davido clinching this, because compared to everyone on that list; he shone brighter than diamonds this year.

Album of the Year (Won by Olamide’s ‘Baddest Guy Ever Liveth) – Yes, I was expecting this. That BGEL album was the truth this year. You know when you’re down and you need to liven up, BGEL is perfect for you.

Best Alternative Song (Won by Boj for ‘Bolaji’) – I heard this and I’m like ‘what?’ Every other nominee in this category actually deserved this award. There was ‘Good Man’ by Ruby and ‘Why You Love Me’ by Nosa and even ‘Body’ by Blackmagic and well… I don’t know.

Best Street Hop Artiste (Won by Oritsefemi for ‘Double Wahala’) – This one also infuriated me big time. I’m not a music head but seriously, Oristefemi? I was angry for Lil Kesh in my seat. I mean ‘Shoki’ was everywhere and it was ‘Double Wahala’ won? No, no.

Lyricist on the Roll (Won by Jesse Jagz for ‘God on the Mic’) – I would have thought Ice Prince but aye, Jesse is a good pick. The remaining people in that category, I’m not so sure about them.

Hip Hop World Revelation (Won by Kcee for ‘Take Over’) – Compared to the people he was pitched against, it wasn’t a bad pick really.

Next Rated (Patoranking) – I had said it that it was either Patoranking or Yemi Alade that deserved this award, and Pato won. I was excited about it and damn, that car is fresh. Meanwhile, the Headies need to define the next rated thing. Last year, Skuki was in this category. This year, Skales and Orezi are in it, aren’t these people old in the Nigerian music industry?

Best Vocal Performance (Won by Niyola for ‘Love to Love you) – All the people in this category were eligible to me so well, I don’t mind Niyola winning.

Best Vocal Performance Male (Won by Timi Dakolo for ‘Iyawo Mi’) – I could go on and on about what this song does to me but I’ll just chill and concentrate on the fact that it won, which was good news. As with the female category, everyone here was also very eligible if you ask me.

Best Rap Single (Won by Phyno for ‘Parcel’) – Yes, he deserved this one. I thought the competition would be between him and Olamide but I think Olamide was nominated for the wrong song. If he had been nominated for something like ‘Awon Goons Mi’ or ‘Story for the Gods’, he would have won it.

Best Collabo (Won by Wizzy Pro for ‘Emergency’ featuring Patoranking and Runtown) – I didn’t subscribe to this at all. I mean there’s ‘Dorobucci’ by the guys at Mavins, and even ‘Girlie O’ by Patoranking and Tiwa Savage. I wasn’t too pleased with the winner really.

Best Rap Album (Won by Olamide for ‘Baddest Guy Ever Liveth’) – This was a great win, very okay for me. It enjoyed massive airplay amongst people in Nigeria.


Best Pop Single (Won by The Mavins for ‘Dorobucci’) – This was a good win to me. The category was indeed a very tough one but this was very okay.

Best R & B Single (Won by Cobhams Asuquo for ‘Let Somebody Love you’) – Absolutely great win! Was thinking ‘Iyawo Mi’ by Timi Dakolo would win.


Recording of the Year (Won by Cobhams Asuquo for ‘Ordinary People’) – This again was an absolutely great win. That category was quite tight, seeing as all the songs have the potential to be winners.

Producer of the Year (Won by Don Jazzy for ‘Dorobucci’) – I think Don Jazzy deserves this for being the awesome producer he has always been but if you remove Don Jazzy, I think either Shizzi or Del B would have been a great choice.


Best Music Video (Clarence Peters for ‘Ada Ada’) – I think Clarence Peters deserves this award as he has a whole lot of awesome videos he made this year, especially ‘Ada Ada’. Kemi Adetiba and Jude Engees Okoye also were strong contenders for the videos they were nominated for.

Best R & B Single (Won by 2face Idibia for ‘Let Someone Love You’) – Um, nope for me. I was expecting Timi Dakolo’s ‘Iyawo Mi’. The remaining songs on the list, I don’t categorize as R & B really.


Best R & B/Pop Album (Won by Sean Tizzle for ‘The Journey’) – I feel he could get this, even though Sound Sultan and Burna Boy’s albums deserve this better if you ask me.

The Fashion


If you haven’t seen it,we put up a list looks of the people that came for the Headies (click here if you missed it). Somehow, I agree with the list and somehow, I do not. I love Eva Alordiah’s dress entirely. That was one of the best dressed celebrities at the Headies. I was utterly disappointed at what Yemi Alade wore. I mean if you won Next Rated and went up on stage to pick a car, is that what you want to be remembered for? That gown was bad choice really. Then there were a lot of bad dresses for the ladies from Saeon to Lami Philips to Emma Nyra. Anyway, I fell in love with Lola Oj’s outfit, so chic and that hair is uber sexy! Then the cute couples came in, there was Osas Ighodaro (who I like to crown official slay queen of 2014) and Gbenro Ajibade. There was also the beautiful Dakore and her husband, Olumide Akande. I’m not really sure about the remaining couples I saw.

Among the gents, the red jacket seemed to rule the night and D Prince was the fairest of the red jacket men. I was also loved Uti’s shirt and what Tunde Ednut wore. Among the badly dressed we had Solid Star (who was looking very somehow) Julius Agwu, Lil Kesh and that Steel guy (I didn’t understand the color thing). Someone said on twitter that Alex Ekubo was looking like MTN recharge card and I think that tells you a lot about what he wore. There were much more ugly outfits, but these ones couldn’t be ignored.

Headies 2015

For Headies 2015, I hope the event would start early and even if late, on a Saturday so we can rest before work on Monday. Then, I think I want a DJ category after all they’re music related too. That should be all about it, I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard