Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong compares Donald Trump to Hitler: 'I can't wait until he's gone'

Band speak in new interview ahead of 'Revolution Radio' album release

GETTY IMAGES

US Presidential candidate Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler in a new interview.

The Californian punk trio made their return last week with new single 'Bang Bang', also confirming the release of new album 'Revolution Radio' for October.

Speaking in this week's issue of Kerrang!, the band discussed how the US political climate has changed since their last album, denouncing Trump in the process.

"The worst problem I see about Trump is who his followers are," frontman Billie Joe Armstrong said. "I actually feel bad for them, because they're poor, working-class people who can't get a leg up. They're pissed off and he's preyed on their anger. He just said, 'You have no options and I'm the only one, and I'm going to take care of it myself.' I mean, that's fucking Hitler, man!"

GETTY

"I don't even know how else to explain it," the singer continued. "I wish I were over-exaggerating. And sometime maybe I do over-exaggerate with [George W] Bush. But with Trump, I just can't wait 'til he's gone."


FRANK MADDOCKS

Armstrong also explained how their new album reflects the current political climate in a recent interview with Rolling Stone.

Armstrong said: "This is the most chaos I've ever seen in an election. It's just so freaky. I don't want to add more of the outrage or anger. I'd just try to reflect it. This is the first time that this election has preyed on fear and anger. And I think with both of those, we're sort of in this fight-or-flight mode. Everybody's freaked out. Neither side, nobody can rationalise with each other because everybody is stuck in fear and in anger, and there's nothing in between. In a nutshell, that is what the record reflects. But I'm trying to also look at myself as part of the problem."

"It's interesting," he continued. "These songs were written before this presidential election. I use a lot of metaphor, and I blow things out, as any good punk rocker should. And it was interesting to see how songs like 'Bang Bang' and 'Say Goodbye' went from metaphor to literal, and that's the part that was tripping me out. It was almost, kind of like, predicting the future, in a way."

The group's new record 'Revolution Radio' follows on from their 'Ono', 'Dos', 'Tré!' album trilogy. It will be released on October 7.

Video: Green Day - 50 Geeky Facts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El-Rufai’s Son Killed In Auto Crash

Kim Kardashian blasts Kendall Jenner – “I bought her a F***ING career!”

Billy Bob Thornton Denies Sleeping With Amber Heard